Monday, February 20, 2012

Cheese Crackers

Things I don't like: spiders, getting out of a hot shower, spicy food.

Things I like: sunshine, vegetable gardens, cheesy snacks.

Maybe it seems crazy to make your own crackers, but how wonderful to be able to count the ingredients in this recipe on one hand. You can't do that on a Goldfish box. These crackers are great to make with kids on a rainy day or lazy Sunday afternoon. They are also great for you, if a multi-step recipe often ends in disaster.


The crackers puff up nicely, so don't be shy about rolling the dough thin. I didn't have any problems with the crackers burning. Have fun with cookie cutters, or simply cut the dough into squares with a pizza cutter. Or even spell out a cheerful message to your best friend when they're feeling blue (cheese has healing powers). 


In the end, the crackers are a bit greasy, but cheese fat is such a wonderful thing. Best to have gum in your mouth when you take these guys out of the oven. Trust me on that. I made half of a tray disappear in seconds.

Next time, I'll try 'em with parmesan and herbs.

Mr. Cheese Dino


Cheese Crackers

1 c. flour
4 T. butter
8 oz. sharp cheddar, shredded
3/4 t. salt
2 T. cold water

Preheat your oven to 350°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Combine flour, butter, cheese, and salt in a food processor. Add water 1 T. at a time. 
Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes. 

Roll out dough onto lightly floured surface or parchment paper, and cut into shapes with cookie cutters. Transfer crackers to baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Store in an airtight container.


3 comments:

  1. I am upset that this post does not include the word goomops anywhere. Never forget your roots, Bekka!

    ReplyDelete
  2. forgot how much I love this recipe - I will be making this again soon with Dashiell who hardly left me any last time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These were fantastic! I added a pinch of paprika and garlic powder, and they were AMAZING! My son loved them. Thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete