Thursday, May 10, 2012

Vegan Chunky Monkey "Ice Cream" Sandwiches

These little gems happened by accident this afternoon. I've wanted to make my own version of (never home)maker's vegan chunky monkey cookies for some time now. My three favorite foods in this world are peanut butter, bananas, and cheese. Luckily two of them pair up nicely.

Chunky Monkey = banana, peanut butter, and chocolate. After I pulled the first batch of cookies out of the oven, I realized how perfect they would be for ice cream sandwiches. I've been craving ice cream for the past two weeks. It's an annual craving that occurs around this time of year. I blame the summertime blues: summer's almost here, but it's still a little too chilly to eat ice cream every night (yes, I do that).

Of course, I have no ice cream in the freezer (hence the cravings). But I do have bananas. I always have bananas. Solution: mash frozen bananas and make "ice cream." Brilliant. Even better, the end product is still 100% vegan.


If you're not up for going all the way, the cookies are delicious on their own. No one flavor is overpowering. In fact, the peanut butter is quite hidden. You don't notice the whole wheat flour either, I promise. If you're not up for any baking, then I suggest buying these (for about $2.00):


Not as awesome, but good at killing an ice cream craving!


Chunky Monkey "Ice Cream" Sandwiches
Adapted from (never home)maker
Makes 24 cookies or 12 sandwiches

Cookies:
1 1/3 c. whole wheat flour
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. Earth Balance (Organic if possible)
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. sugar (of your choice, natural or granulated)
1/2 large ripe banana
1 t. vanilla
1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips (vegan)
1/2 c. peanut butter chips (vegan)

Preheat your oven to 375° and line baking sheets with parchment paper.

Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl and set aside.

Beat Earth Balance, sugars, and banana with electric mixer until well blended. Add vanilla. Gradually add dry ingredients and fold in chips with a spatula or spoon.

Drop cookies by rounded tablespoon or ice cream scoop onto a baking sheet, about 2 to 3 inches apart. Bake 9-10 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool before removing from pan.


Filling:
ripe bananas, frozen
man power

Cut ripened bananas into pieces and place in the freezer. When frozen, mash with a hand blender and spread between cookies. Serve immediately, or wrap individually in plastic wrap and re-freeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment