Sunday, January 29, 2012

A note on nutritional information

I have had several people ask if I have nutrition facts for the recipes I've posted so far. If the cupcake doesn't come with a label, it doesn't have any calories, right?

Didn't buy that? Read on.

In the supermarket, I'm that girl reading the label on everything that goes into my cart, but at home I tend to stay away from calculating the calories and fat in my homemade recipes.

Vegetables = healthy            Cream cheese frosting = not healthy 

Here's my opinion: if you're going to indulge, indulge. Low-fat baked goods are notoriously gummy and sticky, and often lacking in taste. My best strategy for not eating too many cookies or cupcakes is simple; bake delicious cookies and cupcakes. If I'm satisfied with the first bite, I'm less likely to go back for seconds.

If you can't help but to go back for more, then go ahead. Making your food from scratch almost always means you're eating whole, all-natural foods. If you lead a healthy, active lifestyle then you can forgive yourself for enjoying a warm chocolate chip cookie from time to time.

When shouldn't you go back for seconds? When you're eating a whole row of store-bought cookies packed with overly processed and enriched ingredients, with a side of high-fructose corn syrup.

If all else fails, bake for friends and family. Not only will you have the joy of making their bellies happy, there will be fewer leftovers for you to snack on in the middle of the night.

Happy baking!

1 comment: