Friday, July 12, 2013

Mixed Berry Mini Pies

It's been awhile, I know, but I've got mixed berry pie! These pies happen to be adorable (coming in at 5 inches a piece), sweet but tart, and a perfect way to use up the summer's best berries. I've been on a mini dessert kick for a few months. It's a bit more work to make four separate pies but the works pays off in the end when you can claim a pie all to yourself.


Notes on the recipe:
I use a total of five cups of fresh berries in this recipe: blackberries, raspberries and blueberries. Feel free to adjust those amounts and even swap in some strawberries if you like, but keep it to five cups.  

Lemon juice and zest can easily be added in if you prefer a citrus-y flavor to your berry pies. I like the flavor of the berries all their own, with just a bit of added sugar. 


I used to fret over using cornstarch to thicken my pie fillings (partly because I hate buying a huge container of cornstarch only to use it a handful of times per year, and partly because regular cornstarch may contain evil GMOs), but I found organic cornstarch at the co-op so here it is. The organic brand will cost you about $2.00 more and I'll argue it's worth it.  If you want to use flour over cornstarch, send me a message and I'll help you with the conversion.

Image c/o Amazon.com
If you want to bring the joy of mini pies into your life, or are lucky enough to already have 5-inch pans, be prepared to need more crust than usual. I end up using enough crust for two, 9-inch two-crust pies. I like having enough dough to create whatever designs I fancy and then use the leftovers for hand pies. I would plan to use enough crust for at least one 9-inch two-crust pie, plus one more round. 

If you are using mini pans, I highly recommend investing in reusable crust shields. Santa brought me these shields last Christmas and they work wonders. Place them over the pies prior to baking. No need to take them off until the pies are done. I have never had a pie burn or bake unevenly. If you've ever battled an aluminum foil shield in a hot oven you understand why I'll never look back!




Mixed Berry Mini Pies
Makes four 5-inch pies or one 9-inch pie (adjust crust accordingly)

2 c. blueberries
1 c. raspberries
2 c. blackberries
1/3 - 2/3 c. sugar (adjust for sweetness of berries)
3 T. organic corn starch
1 T. cold butter, in pieces
1/2 t. cinnamon
1 egg
Pie crust for two, 9-inch two-crust pies (store-bought or homemade)


Preheat your oven to 375°. Press bottom crust into pie pan(s).

Carefully mix berries, sugar, cornstarch, and cinnamon in large bowl. Distribute berry mixture evenly among pans. Dot with butter.

Beat egg. Cover pies with top crust as you wish. Be sure to connect bottom and top crusts using the egg wash. Brush the top crust with egg wash before baking.

Place pie pan(s) on a baking sheet to catch spills. Bake with crust covers or aluminum foil edge for 40-50 minutes, until filling bubbles and crust is golden brown.


No comments:

Post a Comment